Thursday, April 30, 2009

Training on 4/29 and 4/30

Hello dear readers!

Last few days workouts went pretty well. Yesterday I rode 30 miles in heart rate zone 2 and felt pretty good. Averaging a little under 20 mph. Still dealing with strong winds. Tried a little bit of an alternative to my regular fueling strategy. Kevin suggested that I drink larger amounts of liquid in longer intervals. Normally I try to drink ever 10 to 15 minutes. But this has made my stomach not able to tolerate much nutrition at one time. So now I am drinking half a bottle of water or Gatorade every 30 minutes. Definitely was able to consume more. We'll see how this works on my longer rides.

Today I did my 6 mile run with a 2 mile time trial built in. This workout was done on a track at the nearby high school. This is how it works:

First two miles are run at an easy pace and then I stopped, stretched for a bit and hydrated. The next two miles were at 100% effort. I started out going way too fast (5 minute mile pace) and basically bonked from there. Two miles was done in a little under 15 minutes with my heart rate reaching 179 bpm max. Speaking with Kevin this evening he said that two things were working against me. Firstly, it was a lot hotter today than the last time trial I did. Secondly, I need to not go so fast coming out of the gate. Keeping a consistent pace is something I really am working on and it is getting better. So we will work on running much more evenly next month's time trial.

I heard back from the Ultraman organization today. Unfortunately the race is currently full and Jane (one of the director's of the race) said that she knows people with Crohn's disease and it would be good to have a representative at Ultraman to raise awareness as well as support for the CCFA.

Hopefully things may change and I can still participate, but right now it doesn't look good. So after Ironman Lake Placid I will have to see what other races I can do to end the year. I may do the Great Floridian again. I want to break the 13 hour barrier this year if I do. Who knows, I might even be able to get in closer to 12!

That's all for now.

Tri your best!

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment