Friday, December 11, 2009

Race Announcements and Other Stuff

Hello Dear Readers!

Happy Holidays! I cannot believe this year has flew by so quickly! I wanted to drop everyone a little update and of course to wish all of you a safe a joyous holiday season!

Race Updates

Well I have officially entered the Bandera 100 KM Ultra-marathon. Race information can be found here.

Some of you may recall from one of my earlier blog entries that I tried to do this race last time around and fell around mile 20 and had to pull out. So it's been bothering me all year that this one race is the only race I have never completed.

My strategy for this race is simple: FINISH! I have 24 hours to complete this race. So if I keep an average of 3 MPH, I should have plenty of time. This is like walking speed. So I will lightly jog the flats and gentle rolling hills where the ground is easily navigable. But when it comes to the steep inclines and declines, or any part of the ground where there is the slightest possibility I could fall, we are going to walk it!

Working with Kevin has been a great blessing. We have changed my routine to be very running oriented. Of course this time of year is the worst time to train long distances. Family visits, holiday shopping, etc. make it really hard to put the time in. I must admit I have had to skip some workouts here and there but the long runs are still getting put in. I have to run 25 miles this weekend and have a 30 mile run in a few weeks.

I've been getting used to wearing a Camelback hydration system on my long runs. Remember there are not water stops every mile but every 7 to 10 miles.

Another issue I am dealing with is my knee pain. I have been forced to run on treadmills here and there and I am finding that it kills my joints. I also need to get more cold weather running gear.

Anyway, I'll post some more as new developments occur. Until then....

Tri your Best!

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment