Thursday, January 15, 2009

Knee Rehab

I went to my first rehabilitation session yesterday. The guy evaluated my knee and the prognosis is pretty good (I think). We did a bunch of strength tests and he manipulated my knee all over the place to see where the pain was. Surprisingly he said the muscles around my knee are all very strong from the weight training I do. But his biggest concern is my lack of flexibility.

Like a lot of athletes I know, I HATE stretching. It's SOOOO boring. Well, like everyone has told me in the past (yeah yeah I know), my lack of flexibility is causing these injuries. So mainly the program he is going to put me through is flexibility exercises. He said based on my lack of movement, he estimates it may be three months before I am at the level he thinks I should be at.

That said, I can continue training for swimming and biking now (as long as it does not bother my knee). He wants me to not run for a while to let the injury heal a bit and let me at least start loosening up. So depending on how the recovery goes, I may do the Lone Star 1/2 Ironman, but we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment