Sunday, March 1, 2009

Workout Journal for Week of February 22nd and Run Gait Analysis

Hello everyone! This week was a great training week for me. My knee is continuing to strengthen and my renewed focus on flexibility has helped tremendously.



This week was a week to work on form and drills. Did some mile swims and some high intensity bike and run sessions. On Saturday I rode 37 miles in 1.5 hours and then immediately ran 6 miles (in about 50 minutes). This is what is called a brick workout. It simulates race conditions and gets your legs used to the bike to run transition.



The upcoming week is a recovery week with short and easy sessions until the weekend where I will have a long bike and run session at race distances.



One thing I wanted to note is that on Saturday I went to the Koala Health and Wellness center and had my run gait (i.e. mechanics) analyzed. It was pretty cool. They have you run on a treadmill and videotape you from side and back angles.



They only had me run for a minute or so and then sat me down and showed my areas where I can make my running more efficient.



Things they pointed out:


  1. I need to run more relaxed.

  2. I need to continue stretching and improving my flexibility

  3. My hips are a little out of balance.

  4. My stride can be lengthened.

  5. I need to lean a little more forward during my racing (about 5 degrees).

  6. I shouldn't be moving my arms so far back but keep them swinging in front of me.

Things they thought were pretty good:



  1. Legs are moving straight back. That's very efficient.

  2. Ankles are not buckling so I am wearing the right kind of shoes.

  3. I am planting my feet under me (also very efficient).

I was really pleased with the analysis. They recommended that I get my muscle groups analyzed to see what areas are stronger than the other and would cause an imbalance.


I'll let you all know how that goes when I get that analysis done.


That's it for now.


Tri Your Best!

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment