Sunday, April 5, 2009

Lonestar Triathlon Results

Hi Everyone,

Well I did my first race of this season today. It was a 1/2 Ironman held in Galveston Texas. That's 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike and 13.1 mile run. I definitely think my performances are improving. Although i have to say I definitely still have room for improvement.

The Swim

I wore my new wetsuit and it performed beautifully! I swam a 2:02 / 100 meter pace for the distance. Not too bad, but I know I can do better. I still have the zig zag issue but it wasn't as bad as it has been in the past. I exited the swim in 39 minutes.

The Bike

Now the bike I did really well. I rode my new Quintana Roo carbon frame and even though there was a really big head wind, I averaged almost 22 mph the whole time. I was really pleased. I finished the 56 miles in 2hours 35 minutes.

The Run

Oh boy, my Achilles heel. While I did better for this run than others in the past, I was still a little disappointed. The run consisted of 4 loops. The first loop went really well and I was running at the pace I was hoping (about a 8 minute mile), but then I just really didn't have anything left. My left hip was aching a little and I just sort of hobbled along at a much slower pace. Then a funny thing happened, as I was round the corner for my last lap, my wife Denise surprised me by coming to the race to see me finish! I guess I still had a lot left in the tank because that last lap was my fasted lap. Overall, I averaged about a 10 minute per mile pace and finished in 2 hours 13 minutes.

So now I am home and trying to rehydrate and rest. Fortunately, my coach gave me tomorrow off and I don't start training for my next event till Tuesday. I will post my race pictures once they become available.

Below are my official stats:

Clock Time 5:35:01
Chip Time 5:35:01
Overall Place 245 / 609
Gender Place 203 / 413
Division Place 47 / 85
1 2Mi Swi Rank 273
1 2Mi Swi Time 39:09
1 2Mi Swi Pace 2:02/M
T1 Time 03:42
56Mi Bike Rank 154
56Mi Bike Time 2:35:24
56Mi Bike Pace 21.6mph
T2 Time 03:11
13 1Mi Run Rank 346
13 1Mi Run Time 2:13:33
13 1Mi Run Pace 10:12/M

Thanks everyone for all the words of encouragement! That's all for now.

Tri your best,

Bill

1 comment:

  1. You are AMAZING!:
    "my wife Denise surprised me by coming to the race to see me finish! I guess I still had a lot left in the tank because that last lap was my fasted lap."
    That is so sweet! Congratulations! I was looking forward to the results:)

    ReplyDelete