Thursday, April 2, 2009

VO2 Testing and Race Preparation

Hi Everyone,

This week has been a little busy for me. I had my VO2 test done on Monday. For those not familiar with this it is a test to determine the maximal oxygen consumption, maximal oxygen uptake or aerobic capacity my body can transport and utilize during incremental exercise. This then reflects my physical fitness. The name is derived from V - volume per time, O2 - oxygen, max - maximum.

My coach can use these results to define my heart rate zones for training. I'll do a separate blog entry for that later. I haven't gotten my results yet, but will post when I do.

This test was very weird for me because you have to place a mask over your face the whole time they are testing you. This is done to measure the gases going in and out of my lungs during exercise.

Problem is, I felt like I was suffocating! It was really hard to force air in and out. To understand what it felt like, take a few straw and try to breath through them only while running really hard. Here is a picture of me in the contraption:



The tester (who was a really nice lady), said I did really well for my first time. She said it is common for people to be freaked out when they realize their airway is restricted. She said when we do the test again, I'll know what to expect and then I'll do better.

Training

I did my last taper run for the Lonestar Half Ironman this Sunday. Did 4 miles at a easy 10 minute pace. Tomorrow I'll do a 4-6 mile bike ride to make sure there isn't anything wrong with the equipment (shifting, etc.).

That's all for now.

Tri your best,

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment