Sunday, May 10, 2009

Bike/Run Training 5/10

Hey dear readers!

I had a great training session today. Rode 75 miles averaging 20 MPH. It was very hot today and guess what? It was windy. AGAIN! I guess this is good training for the Lake Placid Ironman, but I am really sick of it. I swear I could go 25 MPH easily if it weren't for that darn wind.

I practiced my race day hydration and went through 7 bottles of Gatorade. Kept my cadence between 88 and 95 RPM's most of the way. When it got really windy I would kick into a easier gear and make the RPM's go even higher.

About 40 miles in I stopped at a Exxon station and refueled. I am sure the guy at the counter appreciated this weird looking guy bringing his bike inside and standing there chugging and sweating on his floor (LOL).

I also have started using Theromlyte electrolyte pills. Took two every thirty minutes. I hit a low point around mile 55 or so and slowed down a bit, but I came back and the last 10 miles went really well. Of course the tail wind helped a lot too!

Once I got home, I threw on my running shoes and did 5 kilometers. I was very hot since the heat index was in the 90's at that point, but I was below my planned pace and finished in less than 30 minutes.

I want to give a shout out to a great product I started using: Chamois Butt'r
Note the emphasis on the word BUTT! Yeah that's right, it's a anti chafing cream. Believe me when I tell you that if you do not use a product like this, it isn't pretty. Just a little friction in "that sensitive area" will become a big problem going as far as we go during training and racing. I won't go into detail's, but let's just say that there are professional riders that have had to be taken out of a race due to this issue. That's how bad it can get.

Anyway, I took a look at my upcoming workouts this week and I don't even get a single day off! All well, I guess I'll get all the rest I need when I am in the ground so to speak.

That's all for now!

Tri your best,

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment