Sunday, May 17, 2009

Lots of Training and Event Updates!

Hello Dear Readers!

Had a busy weekend! Early Saturday I ran 16 miles and went faster than my training plan. I felt really good and did some great accelerations. At one point I was running a 4:30 minute mile pace! One I was done with that I rested for a bit and then attended the CCFA's Take Steps fundraiser.

This was a great event. I had never done anything like this before. Basically I was in the Advocacy tent signing people up for our National Advocacy mailing list and explaining my story and giving people advice on how to manage your life living with Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis. I met some great people. One was a biologist researcher who was studying causes of the disease. She was from the Ukraine and had some interesting insights. I also met with some of the National CCFA people and I hope to work with them to get my fund-raising for the CCFA accelerated to the national level. I was a bit tired for standing up for several hours, but I am glad I did it. By the way, the event raised close to 100 thousand dollars!

On Sunday, I had a looooonnnng workout. Rode 100 miles and then ran 3 right after. I had a interesting time on the bike. Around mile 30 or I had a side puncture. For those who don't do much long distance riding, this can be a pickle. A side puncture is not really repairable and the tire is basically useless.

Fortunately, I always carry a spare tire and TWO tubes. It's a good thing I did, because while I was pumping my tire back up, the darn nozzle broke off! So again I had to take the old tube out, put the second one I had in and then everything was rocking.

That is until I started noticing my gearing was slipping between the teeth of the bike. So I never really got my rhythm back because my darn chain wouldn't stay in my favorite gears.

Despite these setbacks, I still toughed out the rest of the ride and finished the one hundred miles in 5 hours, 27 minutes. A little slow, but given the circumstances, I can live with it.

Then I got home and slipped on the running shoes, drank a bottle of Gatorade (my seventh I think) and got out the door. Believe it or not, I ran really well and again ran faster than my planned pace. Maybe it was the cooler weather or maybe it was my pent up frustration with my bike, but all the miles were done in under 9 minute per mile pace. For me, that was really good!

Well, that's all for now. I'll post updates with my ongoing conversations with the CCFA team as I get them.

That's all for now!

Tri your best,

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment