Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Training 5/18 and 5/19

Hello Dear Readers!

Had some great workouts over the last few days. Here's a recap:

Monday's Swim Training

I swam 3000 meters with the following workout sets:

Warm Up: 10 x 100 as: 4 free/ 3drill/ 3 kick on 15 sec. rest, 1 x 100 fast on 20 sec. rest.
Main Set: 4 x 200 free on 15 sec. rest, 4 x 100 drills on 20 sec. rest, 2 x 200 free on 10 sec. rest
Cool Down: 300 choice easy

Since I had a really long day on Sunday, I used the pull buoy every other set to rest my legs some. Finished the entire workout (including rest time) in 1 Hour 5 Minutes.

Tuesday's Bike/Run Brick Training

I had another great workout this day. The bike portion was on my indoor trainer. It followed the following:

10 MIN WARM UP
6 X 5 MIN. AT HR#4 MID TO HIGH with first 2min in aerobars, 2min standing and 1min fast spin/ 3 MIN EASY BETWEEN
10 MIN COOL DOWN

This was pretty challenging. Heart rate did end up maxing out at 159 Beats Per Minute. I hadn't done a standing session before and it really hit my legs (but in a good way).

After the bike I threw on the running shoes and did my four miles. This was planned to be 9:35 minutes per mile pace, but a funny thing happened. I don't know if it was the standing on the bike or just being in good shape, but I felt really good and decided to see what I could do for the run and pushed. Guess what? I did each lap not only faster than the previous, but all faster than my planned pace. Here is the breakdown (minutes per mile):

Lap 1: 8:39
Lap 2: 8:31
Lap 3: 8:09
Lap 4: 7:49

I couldn't believe I was running sub 8 minute miles after such a hard bike session. I need to give my coach a bonus for getting my heart and legs into such great shape!

Well that's all for now.

Tri your best,

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment